
Andy's dad, Pete, had asked me if there was ice sailing on Lake Winnebago. I had said, 'no'. After living in the area for 18 years, I can honestly say I don't think I have ever seen an iceboat. Apparently, the west side of the lake is a little more sophisticated than the east side. This yacht club is just a mile or so away from our place. Maybe we will stop by on a friday night for fish. I found some pics from Neenah, which is found on the shores of Lake Winnebago as well. According to Scouting Magazine, "Records are conflicting, but some say the likely world speed record for iceboats was set at about 150 m.p.h. in 1947 on Lake Winnebago, Wis." Scouting Magazine also states that, "Southern Wisconsin is an iceboating haven for three reasons: There are lakes. They freeze solid in the winter. And they rarely are covered with snow." Read the Scouting Magazine article, its pretty interesting, and chock full of iceboating history.
1 comment:
Wow, I never knew either. Will you have the opportunity to try it out?
Post a Comment