Saturday, January 14, 2006

Chinese Fish

I always said there was one industry that was relatively safe from China...the food industry. I was a little surprised when Andy pointed out the Van de Kamps fish we were buying stated, " Wild product of China. Processed in the United States." What? Fish from China?
So, I did a little research. Check out the World Resources Institute Fact Sheet.
Welcome to the world of aquaculture...the farming of fish, shrimp, seafood and seaweed, for which China leads with 57% of all global production. The next closest is India with 9%. The US is lagging way at the end with a mere 2%.
What I want to know now is, how do the fish make it on a boat for 5 weeks and not be ruined when they arrived? And, if Van de Kamps is using fish from China, why are they still among the most expensive frozen fish in the whole store? Maybe with only 2% of aquaculture in the US, there isn't enough supply? Maybe Van de Kamps is taking a ride straight to the bank? There are definitely other factors at play here, but it does make you think.

No comments: