I finally went out and bought the new Malcom Gladwell book Blink - The Power of Thinking Without Thinking and started reading today. So far I like it a lot, although just like in his last book, some of the content is a little soft.
In part 2 he talks about research into how unconscious associations play in our beliefs and our behavior. There is a tool called the Implicit Association Test developed for that research that tries to measure how strong the test subject's unconscious associations are between particular concepts, for example race (i.e. black and white) and good vs. bad. There are several different tests that you can take and see what your own associations are: www.implicit.harvard.edu Check it out, you might be suprized how your conscious opinions compare to the test results.
-AP
2 comments:
I took the career-gender test. I go against the norm, and unconsciously favor career women vs. women who stay home with kids/career men. Does this surprise anyone? -E
I took the active v. intelligent test. I have a moderate automatic inclination toward intelligent people vs. active people. Being active and I think pretty intelligent, I thought I considered both equally.
Post a Comment